I think it’s fair to say that everybody has a favourite Chinese takeout meal because let’s be honest here; Chinese takeout is exactly what you crave on a Friday night – a meal full of flavour, texture and mouth-watering goodness! Is it healthy though? Well, most of the time, no. Sure, you can certainly find healthy options on the menu. But usually, those alternatives don’t even compare to the dishes you love and thoroughly crave.
So, when that uncontrollable desire for Chinese takeout hits and before you mourn the loss of Chinese takeout forever, I have a great and simple alternative! Our better-than-takeout Chicken with Cashew Nuts is sure to hit the spot! Juicy chicken, crisp-tender veggies and crunchy cashews coated with the tastiest sauce (containing absolutely no nasties!). So this weekend, why not try skipping the takeout and making your own restaurant-quality meal that’s unbelievably easy, quick and downright tasty.
Better-Than-Takeout Chicken with Cashew Nuts
- 400g Lean Chicken Breast, sliced into bite sized
- 2 Garlic (6g), crushed
- 1 Leek (130g), thinly sliced
- 2 Carrot (122g), thinly sliced
- 1 Large Broccoli (250g), florets removed from stem
- 92g Red Capsicum, sliced
- 50g Snow Peas, trimmed
- 1 Cups Salt Reduced Chicken Stock Liquid (250g)
- 2 Tablespoons Oyster Sauce (40g)
- 80g Roasted Unsalted Cashews
- 1 Teaspoons Sesame Oil (10g)
- 1 Tablespoons Cornflour (20g)
- Coat a hot pan or wok with the sesame oil and cook the chicken to brown. Remove from pan and set aside.
- In a small jug prepare the sauce by combining stock, oyster sauce, crushed garlic and cornflour. Set aside.
- Add garlic, leek and all vegetables to the pan, fry briefly for the leek to soften and then add the prepared sauce. Cook until heated, but do not overcook the vege.
- Add the chicken back to the pan, combining all ingredients.
- Serve in a large bowl and top with cashews.
Make sure you screenshot or save this recipe if you’re keen on a “not so naughty” night in!