Reviewed by: Erica An, APD, BNutr&Diet
When we think of winter, we think of steaming hot, hearty meals to warm the soul. And mac & cheese definitely falls into that category of goodness.
But this family favourite does not need to be laden with unnecessary calories. Our 12WBT mac & cheese recipe will really satisfy your craving for winter comfort food whilst fuelling your body with good protein, carbs and a healthy dose of veggies.
At only 409 calories per serve, it’s a must to try for dinner this week!
Serves 4 | 20 min prep time | 20 min cooking time
- 80g Macaroni Pasta
- 200g Cauliflower, cut into small florets
- 220g Broccolini, trimmed & cut into 3 lengths
- 30g Butter, No Added Salt
- 200g Lean Chicken Breast, chopped
- 2 Tablespoons Plain Flour (24g)
- 2 Cups Low Fat Milk (500g)
- 30g Parmesan Cheese, grated
- 2 Tablespoons Chives (6g), chopped
- Cook macaroni in a medium saucepan of boiling water following package directions. Add cauliflower and broccolini for last 2 minutes of cooking. Drain.
- Meanwhile, melt butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add chicken and cook for 2 minutes or until just cooked. Add flour and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Remove from heat. Gradually add milk, stirring constantly.
- Return to medium heat and cook, stirring, for 3-5 minutes or until the mixture boils and thickens. Add cheese and chives and season well with freshly ground black pepper. Stir through the macaroni and vegetables until combined. Divide between serving plates.