What do you usually feel like eating at lunchtime throughout winter? Warming, hearty and easy-to-prepare meals, right? Here are our top 3 winter lunch recipes that are easy on wallets, easy to make and easy to meal-prep for the week ahead!
Risoni with Tomato & Chicken
4 serves | 10 min prep time | 30 min cooking | 306 cals/serve
- 1 Teaspoon Olive Oil (5g)
- 300g Lean Chicken Mince
- 1 Onion (145g), chopped
- 2 Cloves Garlic (6g), crushed
- 1/2 Cup Risoni Pasta (110g)
- 1 X 400g can Diced Tomato (400g)
- 1 Cup Salt Reduced Chicken Stock Liquid (250g)
- 2 Bunches Broccolini (330g), trimmed
- 1g Olive Oil Spray
- 20g Grated Parmesan, finely grated
- 1/4 Cup Basil Leaves (10g), chopped
- Preheat oven to 180°C. Line a large baking tray with baking paper. Heat oil in a large deep frying pan over high-medium heat. Add mince to the pan and cook for about 5 minutes, breaking up the meat with a wooden spoon as it browns. Add onion and cook, stirring, for 3 minutes or until softened. Stir in garlic and cook for 1 minute.
- Add risoni and stir to coat. Add tomatoes and stock. Stir well, then cover and bring to the boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer, stirring once or twice during cooking to prevent sticking, for 20 minutes or until risoni is tender.
- Meanwhile, place broccolini on prepared tray. Spray with oil then sprinkle with parmesan. Season with freshly ground pepper. Bake for 10-15 minutes or until broccolini is tender, lightly browned and cheese has melted. Stir basil through the risoni mixture. Divide between serving bowls, top with broccolini and serve.
Grated Beetroot & Chickpea Fritters
2 serves | 20 min prep time | 8 min cooking | 291 cals/serve
- 1 X 400g cans Canned Chickpeas (225g), rinsed & drained
- 2 Cage-Free Eggs (118g), lightly beaten
- 50g Fresh Beetroot, grated
- 1 Shallot (6g), chopped
- 1 1/2 Teaspoons Moroccan Seasoning (3g)
- 1g Olive Oil Spray
- 30g Mixed Salad Leaves
- 2 Tablespoons Low Fat Cottage Cheese (40g)
- 1/2 Lebanese Cucumber (68g), sliced
- 1/4 Avocado (40g)
- Place chickpeas in a large bowl and mash coarsely. Add eggs, beetroot, shallots and seasoning. Stir until just combined.
- Spray a large non-stick frying pan lightly with oil and heat over medium heat. Divide mixture into 4 equal portions. Drop into the pan and spread to about 9cm diameter. Cook for 3-4 minutes each side or until lightly browned.
- Put salad leaves onto serving plates and add fritters. Top with cottage cheese, cucumber and avocado.
Roast Pumpkin and Garlic Soup
Serves 8 – 293 Calories – 25 mins prep – 90 mins cooking
1 pumpkin (1800g), halved then chopped into large chunks
1 tablespoon olive oil (20g)
2 onions (178g), chopped
2 potatoes (246g), peeled & chopped
1 leek (83g), chopped
10 cloves garlic (30g)
6 cups liquid vegetable stock (1500g)
8 small grainy bread rolls (400g)
- Preheat oven to 200C.
- Place the pumpkin on a baking tray. Spray with olive oil. Bake for 40 minutes or until the flesh is soft and tender. Set aside to cool.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat.
- Add the onion, potato, leek and garlic. Cook, stirring often, for 5 minutes or until the vegetables are soft and lightly golden.
- Add half the stock and the pumpkin. Reduce the heat to low and simmer for 10-15 minutes then set aside to cool slightly.
- Use a stick mixer to process until smooth. Stir in the remaining stock to the desired thickness.
- Stir over medium heat until heated through. Season with pepper.
- Divide among serving bowls and enjoy with the bread rolls.
Explore more healthy and delicious recipes here.