After Annie’s O’Keeffe’s first round of 12WBT in 2012, she lost 16kgs. Annie had joined 12WBT after being asked to dance in a local charity event. She wasn’t happy with the number on the scales and knew she’d need to get into shape – both to feel good and look good on that dance floor! To this day, Annie still leans on what she learnt on 12WBT to continue living her most healthy lifestyle. So we asked Annie to share what she likes to eat in a day, in the hopes of teaching others that healthy cooking and weight loss doesn’t have to be hard or tasteless.
Would you just look at Annie now!
“I started because I knew that I needed to get into shape. The meal and exercise plans of 12WBT suited me. I loved every minute of that first 2012 round and the weight literally faded away! I finally had control of my daily eating and for the first time in my life, I LOVED going for a run and pushing myself to go further each day. It also helped me to retrain my brain on how much fuel you really need to have in your body. I found that my sleep was better, my skin was brighter and I just enjoyed the little “treats” I would have every now and then, instead of every day.”
For Annie, it was the array of ‘non-diet’ recipes that were available for each meal that really gave her the motivation to stay on track during those 12 weeks.
“I loved the choices that were on offer each week. I really loved sitting down and taking the time to choose my week’s food and learning how easy it is to substitute some foods to lower your calorie intake, without sacrificing taste (sometimes even improving!). I learned so much during that first round that I still remember and put into practice today”
And the best bit! 8 years on and Annie still uses her 12WBT recipes weekly.
“We love the Not So Naughty Nachos and the Lasagne. These are still both eaten at least once a week! They are yummy and the kids love eating them too. I still think I Can’t Believe It’s Not Butter Chicken was the biggest surprise to me when using the recipe index. I’ve cooked it so many times I no longer need the recipe.”
Annie’s Day on a Plate
Since 2012, Annie has had 2 kids and completed our Post-Pregnancy program. She has maintained her 12WBT weight loss and is STILL loving her 12WBT recipes! So, we tasked her with sharing her typical 2020 day on a plate. Here’s what Annie said she likes to eat in a day:
For breakfast, I have either a poached egg on toast or an egg and bacon sandwich. My go-to is the 12WBT version.
For lunch, my go-to is a ham, tomato, and cheese toasted sandwich on wholegrain bread or the 12WBT Ploughman’s Lunch.
Dinner has to be a pick of my 12WBT faves like the Butter Chicken, or Lasagne I mentioned, or the Sausages and Sweet Potato Mash. There are so many 12WBT recipes I still go back to each week, I could go on forever!
I still allow treats during or after dinner, including a glass of Sav Blanc or a piece or two of dark chocolate. There’s this new yummy 12WBT Chocolate Bark recipe that I got to try through a friend! Food is not the enemy, it’s the quantity and the quality that we eat that can be the problem.
As a treat from Annie, here are two of her go-to family 12WBT recipes for you to try for yourself!
Free Recipe: 12WBT “I Can’t Believe It’s Not Butter Chicken”
- 4 Serves
- 10 min prep time
- 35 min cooking
- 322 Cal / serve
Everyone’s favourite Indian takeaway, Butter chicken, gets a healthy makeover in this tasty recipe, perfect for fussy families!
- 2g Olive Oil Spray
- 1 Onion (146g), finely chopped
- 400g Lean Chicken Breast, cut into 3cm pieces
- 2 Tablespoons Tandoori Paste (46g)
- 1 Cup Salt Reduced Chicken Stock Liquid (240g)
- 1 X 400g Can Diced Tomato (400g)
- 1/2 Cup Dried Red Lentils (100g)
- 3 Tablespoons Light Cream (60g)
- 8 Pappadams (80g)
- 4 Tablespoons Fresh Coriander (12g)
- Spray a non-stick frying pan with oil and heat over medium-low heat. Add onion and cook, stirring often, for 5 minutes or until soft.
- Increase heat to medium-high and add chicken. Cook, turning occasionally, for 4 minutes or until golden. Add curry paste and cook, stirring, for 1 minute.
- Add stock, tomatoes and lentils. Bring to the boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 20-25 minutes, or until lentils are tender. Stir regularly, and more often towards end of cooking. Stir in cream and cook for about 1 minute or until heated through.
- Lightly spray pappadams with oil and cook on a sheet of paper towel in the microwave for 45 seconds or until puffed.
- Divide curry between dishes and serve topped with the coriander leaves, with pappadams on the side.
- 20g Cos Lettuce
- 1/2 Tomato (84g), thinly sliced
- 20g Reduced Fat Cheddar, thinly sliced
- 40g Lean Ham
- 2 Wheat Crispbread (38g)
- 3 Teaspoons Fruit Chutney (15g)
- Divide lettuce, tomato, cheese and ham between crispbreads.
- Top with chutney to serve.
Thank you to Annie for sharing her day on a plate with us! If you enjoyed reading what our 12WBT members like to eat in a day, we recommend checking out our Nutrition home page here on the blog, for heaps of free recipes, nutrition tips and tricks and expert advice.