Nutrition is such an important part of your health and fitness journey. Healthy nutrition can lead to longer life, more energy, better workouts, lower risk of diseases and helps maintain body weight. When your nutrition is adequate, you should have good vitality and feel your absolute best ! Here are a few tips of the power of healthy nutrition.
- Your brain needs lots of nutrients to function and to keep you well, with glucose being it’s preferred source of energy – this means including smart carbs in your day! Smart carbs can include wholegrain rice, pasta, starchy veggies and even healthy cereals.
- Healthy nutrition helps to reduce the risk of physical health problems such as heart disease and diabetes. It also helps with sleeping patterns, energy levels and general heath so you feel better and have more energy.
- Your mood often affects the types of foods you choose as well as how much you eat. Some foods can lift your mood, energy levels and concentration, while others can have the opposite effect.
- Diet is a factor that contributes to 30-40% of all cancers. However, nutrition alone cannot cause or cure cancer.
- Eating fibre can help you lose weight, if that is your goal! Fibre adds bulk so you feel more satisfied without needing to eat more. Fibre can also reduce blood cholesterol levels.
Also read: Managing your Nutrition Over Time
- Vitamins and minerals are essential to good nutrition. B vitamins are important to metabolism, and are important in the formation of red blood cells. Vitamin A helps form and maintain healthy skin. Vitamin D deficiency can lead to osteoporosis. VitaminC helps with the absorption of plant based iron and is essential for a healthy immune system.
- According to Harvard School of Public Health, drinking soft drink increases the risk obesity, diabetes, heart disease and gout. Water should always be your number one drink of choice, whenever you can!
- Wholegrains contain an excellent amount of fibre which can help to stabilise blood glucose levels. Pairing wholegrains with protein and healthy fats can further slow the absorption of carbohydrates into the body which provides long lasting energy through the day.
- Quality protein helps to support the development and maintenance of muscle mass in the body – this is especially important as we age.